Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In Memorium of a Fish

For those of you who know my family well, you know that, even from the very beginning, we have never had any place for pets in our home. I suppose we're just not the biggest animal lovers in a general way, and therefore no living thing not walking on two legs has entered our home with invitation in all the years I can remember.  We don't hate animals, nor do we necessarily dislike their company, we just aren't animal people. We aren't the type who cry at Homeward Bound, or feel a great deal of sympathy when watching the countless "Go on, get out of here..." master loves wild pet type movies. We just are people people who prefer to love people who have the capacity to talk back to us. However, all that being said, a few years ago this grinch's heart grew three sizes when, on my seventeenth birthday, I received a beautiful 15 cent goldfish from a co-worker of mine. For some reason, this fish, who I named Fergus Bartholemew Jr., entered my family with open arms. He was the most beautiful gold color, and I will stand by the fact that he was the most lively fish that ever swam the waters. Each time a person would enter the room, Barty get so excited and would swim around his blue-pebbled bowl as fast as he could - loop after loop. Simply the presence of a person in the kitchen got him more energized than words can express. As you would walk around the room, he would swim to the edge of the bowl nearest to you, following your every step. Barty could do tricks, he would nibble your fingers, he was always ready and excited to eat, and he was always able to handle anyone's pranks. I had one friend in particular who thought my love for Barty was so absurd that whenever she would come over she would hide him in horrible places - even like the microwave oven. Despite such shocks, Barty perserved long after anyone thought he would. I know that many, if not more likely most, of you find this all a bit over the top and riddiculous, but all I have to say is that this fish was perfect. He was everything you could ask for and more. My whole family loved the little guy, and he quickly came to have the best seven guardians that an animal could wish for. For every friend that ever met Barty, you understand his significance, and you know why I am so sad to say that after 3 1/2 years, this May 15th, Barty passed away. According to my mother, his light was just gone. His enthusiasm for life had been fading for a while, and it was just a matter of time. I'm glad I never saw him in any state other than perfect enthusiasm. When I heard Barty was getting sick, I made it perfectly clear to my family back home that nothing less than a good funeral complete with a casket and burrial would be acceptable. Thankfully, in accordance with my wishes, they had a beautiful little ceremony, and now Barty is buried with a little tombstone in my back yard. I write this entry, even though it has nothing to do with my adventures in China because I could not let this time pass without letting the world know of the wonder that was Barty. I miss the little guy.
 
With One Fish, you fish,
I dont need two fish
not black or blue fish
old or new fish.
 
You're the one who is my star
for you I'd buy a little car.
Say, what a splendid fish you are.
 

Yes, some are gold like you its true 

but never did they heal my blues.

Ne're were you bad, or even sad

since always you were very glad

Why were you ever glad glad glad?

I do not know, nor does my dad.

 

Once you were thin and then were fat

So big some called you "yellow cat"

From there to here and here to there 

My darling, you, stay in my prayer 

1 comment:

Love Life and Learning said...

This was good of you.
Dr. Suess must love Matt and Courtney :) I sure do!!!