Tuesday, January 11, 2011


Aren't my pictures just lovely so far? Seeing as it is Wednesday Jan 12 at 4:45 am and I still have yet to go outside of the walls of an airport, I'm afraid this is all we're gonna get for a while folks. Signs. At least I pick the pretty ones. So, yes, I arrived safely in Hong Kong. My baggage was all here, and in tact (even the carry-on that they took from me!!!); but, alas, all was not well. Because of the snow in Seoul, our flight had to be de-icified before we could leave, and that took a good two hours (thankfully I slept the whole time), but because of our delay, the guy who was supposed to meet us at the airport and take us to our hotel in Kowloon, decided to take off intead. Not only did we not have our ride, but also none of us had any idea where we were supposed to go - let alone how to get there. A few futile calls later to our director back in Provo, we started getting creative. All of the booths and offices in the airport were closed, but we were determined to figure something out - lets just say we weren't very successful! Thankfully, we finally got an email from Casey explaining everything from where we were supposed to go to why our final group member was no where to be found (Poor Andrea was still stranded in Detroit because of weather -on top of that, she also had to deal with the delays and cancelations in the South because she's from Atlanta- whew!) Anyway, even with the new information we were pretty much at a loss for anything to do about it. By perusing some of the scantily available booth literature, we were able to find a map that had the hotel we were looking for on it but there were no taxis, no buses, no transports - no nothing - to take us there. Ok, thats not entirely true, there was a taxi service, but they were going to charge us 100 US$ a piece - um, I don't think so. So, here we are, sleeping on the cold marblish floor of the Hong Kong airport waiting for 7 o'clock when the international world begins anew! I love traveling. I'm gross, and tired, but for some reason it's really an endearing thing - all part of the joys of the experience I guess :)

1 comment:

Myke Weber said...

If all else fails call the Mission Home. It was in Kowloon last time I checked.

It would be cool if you stayed in the Park Hotel. Have a great adventure.